Recipes for August 10th's National S'mores Day
In celebration of National S’mores Day on August 10th, Divine Chocolate, the first and only Fairtrade, B-Corp certified premium brand of chocolate co-owned by the cocoa farmers, is offering up a few lux versions of the traditional campfire treat.
The signature S’more has been around for nearly a century and consists of a chocolate bar and roasted marshmallows nestled between two graham crackers.
Prep Time – 9 Min
Cook Time – 5 Min
Refrigeration Time – 2 hours
Serves – 8
2 ½ cup Divine 70% Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
2 tbsp honey
¾ cup shortbread cookies, chopped into small pieces
3 ½ cups mini marshmallows plus extra to sprinkle on top
⅓ cup unsalted butter, cubed
¼ cup crystallized stem ginger, very finely chopped (optional)
1 ¼ cup Divine Milk Chocolate
1 tbsp unsalted butter, and a little to grease the tin
20 almonds, cut into pieces
1) Lightly grease a 8x11 inch tin or square brownie pan with a little butter and line with parchment paper.
2) Put the marshmallows in the freezer while you melt the chocolate. This will help them keep their shape once folded into the warm chocolate.
3) Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
4) Place the chopped chocolate and butter in a large bowl and sit the bowl over the pan making sure that the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water (double boiler method).
5) Let the chocolate and butter slowly melt, stirring occasionally, until smooth and silky. Stir in the honey and take off the heat.
6) Add the chopped shortbread cookies, marshmallows, almonds and ginger and fold them into the chocolate.
7) Spread the mixture into the prepared tin, pressing down to level.
8) Melt the milk chocolate and butter using the double boiler method.
9) Spread the milk chocolate over the rocky road then top with a handful of mini marshmallows.
10) Put the rocky road in the fridge for two hours or until completely set.
11) Cut into squares and serve.
DIVINE PREMIUM S’MORES
Prep Time – 7 Min
Cook Time – 3 Min
Serves – 8
8 Jumbo-Size Marshmallows
8 Graham Crackers
1) Preheat a grill to medium. Alternatively, you can roast the marshmallows over an open fire.
2) Break each Graham Cracker digestive biscuit in half. Divide the Divine Chocolate Milk Chocolate bars into 8 equal parts. Place each chocolate piece on top of half of a Graham Cracker.
3) Divide marshmallows among several long skewers, spacing them far enough apart so that they won't melt together. Place marshmallows on the grill and cook over medium heat, turning slowly, until golden brown. Carefully remove marshmallows from skewers and set on top of chocolate pieces. Place the other half of the Graham Cracker on top to form the perfect S'more.
The first mention of such a treat was in the 1920s in a book of recipes published by Campfire Marshmallows, called a ‘Graham Cracker Sandwich’. In 1927, the Girl Scouts published a similar recipe in “Tramping and Trailing with the Girl Scouts” but they called it ‘some more.’ Finally, in the late ’30s to late ’50s, various recipes gave the name as we know it today, “s’mores.”